5/29/09

how it all.went.down.

saturday day:: nesting anyone? I scrubbed and cleaned most of the morning. just felt the need. for the record the last time I bothered cleaning on a saturday was... well, I can't remember. that should have tipped me off. 
saturday evening:: we decided to give ourselves a "night in at the movies" and do it up right. candy, popcorn, root-brewskies in the bottle... a date night to last us the impending weeks of sleep-deprived craziness. who knew it would be the last supper. 
saturday night:: couldn't sleep. kept waking up every hour on the hour with a strange pain. thought I had to use the restroom. seriously? you are nine months prego chels. seriously. 
sunday::
7am got up because I couldn't sleep. decided to take a shower. as I am in the shower I realize that something could be happening, because now I am awake and realizing that the pains are coming and going, coming and going. strange.
8am convincing myself that it couldn't be labor because of the location of the pain (low) and the fact that I was supposed to go over. petra was over. of course I was going to go over. who has a baby on their actual due date? 
9am this is starting to hurt some. better wake jeff. "babe. don't freak out, but I think I might be in labor. I think we should pack just in case" needless to say, he jumps out of bed. he suggests I call my mother to ask her about her experiences. I do, and come to the conclusion that it is probably pre-labor, but it could take days before it progresses to anything serious. ha.
10am this is starting to hurt something crazy, somewhat close together, I call the hospital. midwife asks me if I think it's time to come in. then it hits me. its time. oh dear. its time. 
11am we are loaded up, on the way to the hospital, its a 25 min drive, and all I can say is "be careful, but hurry." if this is not really it, there is no way I am doing the real thing natural (as I had planned).
12pm we are in our hospital room, john is coming to meet us to get petra. they check my progress and find that I am dilated to a  7. I am 70% there. what? petra is still in the room and as I hit a hard contraction, I yell, (ok scream) involuntarily. poor petra starts bawling. luckily john is there and away she goes, after I take my few seconds between contractions to let her know I am okay. (again, ha.) 
1pm I am pushing. all natural. yelling cliche things like "no really, I am dying!" and "just get her out of me now" (to which my midwife replies, she doesn't come with handles, honey". we liked her.) ( especially because rilla's cord broke during delivery and she pinched it off so rilla wouldn't lose any blood. yeah, we liked her.)
1:13pm hello rills. welcome to the world. thank heavens it's over. hello natural endorphins. man I feel good.
after it was all over I couldn't help but laugh at the fact that at 9 oclock that morning I was convinced that today wasn't the day. four hours later, she was in my arms. wow. me and my body are so connected right? strange what 24 hours can bring. 

9 comments:

angela hardison said...

That's pretty incredible. Anyone who does it natural basically becomes one of my heroes.

Chatted with your little sis a bit yesterday at Leslie Carling's wedding. She is to give you a real life "hello" from me (and Clint) when she comes to visit! :)

Congrats again.

kayleen said...

oh man. this had me rolling. "she doesn't come w/ handles..." is awesome. and i can't believe you did it natural. i think i might punch someone if i tried that.

Myke said...

So suspenseful and exciting. Even though Jeff told me about the other day I was still on the edge of my seat.

The Weights said...

Holy crap chels! That is so crazy how fast she came! I was the same way thinking the second time was going to be just like the first, except mine pretty much were! And her cord broke too?! I hope it wasn't as scary as when it happened to gracie!

I hope you guys are doing good, and adjusting to life with your new sweet baby. I can't wait to meet hot rod rilla!

Tracy said...

She is amazingly beautiful! And like everyone already mentioned I am SO impressed you did it all natural. Congratulations. I can't wait to meet her.

diana said...

wow, on your due date au naturale... very impressive, chels. i, too am in doubt when i'm in labor too... until the pain is too unbearable, then i beg bryce to take me to the hospital and hope that the nurses believe me... like i'm faking my pregnancy or something.

Unknown said...

WOW! You go girl! I can't believe you went all natural!!

I want to hear all about it? How is recovery?

sarah said...

(somehow google reader hasn't updated your feed and i missed the birth of your baby. i've never been mad at google before, but i'm steaming right now.)

now that's that off my chest:

1. CONGRATS!

2. natural? holy smokes, girl. my first impression of you was rocking cowboy boots and a skirt. and now birthing all natural? i can't handle the awesomeness.

3. beautiful and hilarious story. i'm so glad you shared.

4. congrats.

Anonymous said...

shes beautiful. & i love her name.